We, at Colorado Superior Roofing, want to remind you that this Saturday, April 22, is Earth Day! While we think the Earth is important every day, there is nothing wrong with celebrating extra this weekend. There are all sorts of ways to celebrate but here are 40 ideas to go greener at home!
40 ways to go greener at home …besides just recycling – The Art of Simple – Being intentionally eco-wise is about celebrating the creativity of creation, being good stewards with what we’re given, and passing on those values to the next generation.
The thing I love most about practicing good green green habits? Nine times out of ten, they’re also the more frugal option. Being environmentally-friendly is just good economics—in our home and budget, and with the earth.
There are tons of little things we can do in our homes to play a small part in reducing landfill waste, cleaning the air, and preserving the natural landscape. But we double our efforts when we get our kids involved, helping them understand the why to our what.
When they get it, it’ll be second nature when they’re adults—and that much easier to pass it down to their children.
Here are some small, easy, green choices we can make in our homes. Choose three that you’re not already doing, and make them a habit this year.
1. Plant an herb garden. It’s good to have a reminder around of where our food originates, and this one is super easy.
2. Switch all your lightbulbs to CFLs (or at least switch a few).
3. Create a homemade compost bin for $15.
4. Switch one appliance to an energy efficient model (look for the “energy star” label).
5. Stop using disposable bags. Order some reusable bags—my favorites are Flip & Tumble. Or, make your own—they’re insanely easy.
6. Buy an inexpensive reusable water bottle, and stop buying plastic disposable bottles (my favorite is the Kleen Kanteen with the sport cap. Then watch The Story of Bottled Water, a short movie about the bottled water phenomena.
7. Wash laundry in cold water instead of hot.
8. Turn off lights when you leave the room.
9. Don’t turn on lights at all for as long as you can—open your curtains and enjoy natural light.
10. Drive the speed limit, and combine all your errands for the week in one trip.